THE BLACKBURN REPORT

News and Opinion Based on Facts

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Evelyn Marie Blackburn, Pt. 2

Evelyn sat in her immaculately decorated office, stirring a cup of heavily sugared black coffee, daydreaming about the young man she had met yesterday, it was really all she could think of.
She had reports to type up, and she labored diligently, but her mind was in Oklahoma, 200 miles away.
Suddenly the intercom lit up and Sally, the receptionist chirped, “Evey, your Mama's here. She wants to know if you have a minute.”
Evelyn sighed, “Sure, Sally, send her in.”
Evelyn's mother, whom everyone called “Honey”, made her entrance.
Honey was as strikingly beautiful as her daughter, although she was nearing forty, and working on her fifth husband.
She wore ermine and pearls, everything matching and radiating substance and money.
She glided over to the desk and planted a lip-sticked kiss on Evelyn's cheek.
“Sweetheart, I was having drinks at the club just down the street with the nicest man, and I thought I should stop by and see how my little girl is getting along.”
Evelyn arched an eyebrow,”Someone new Honey? Aren't you a married woman?”
Honey leaned over the desk and looked into Evelyn's eyes “Aren't you?”
Evelyn flushed “What do you mean, Mama?”
Honey reached into her alligator bag for a cigarette, “This is a small town, Sweetheart. People talk, and talk gets around.”
“If you have something to say, Honey, just say it. I hate it when you get cryptic with me.”
Honey lit the cigarette and exhaled a stream of smoke which curled slowly to the ceiling.
“People say you were out with a man yesterday, around lunch time. A very handsome man, and that he was all over you, too.”
Evelyn composed herself.
She'd never been much of a liar.
She had never really had a reason to be.
“It was a client from that modeling agency, we discussed a job, that's all, and he was not all over me.”
Honey appraised Evelyn coolly.
“O.K. Kid. Whatever you say. But I guess I should warn you, a friend of mine recognized him, and he does have something of a reputation.”
Evelyn started, “A reputation? A reputation for what, Honey?”
Suddenly Honey was uncomfortable, she realized that her child had been interested in this man, that at least some of the gossip she'd heard had a basis in fact.
“ He has a reputation for seducing pretty women, Evelyn, that's his reputation.
He has a nickname, too, they call him the “influence”, some of the girls say he has a 'power”.”
Evelyn could feel a cool bead of sweat on her forehead.
She was meeting Dick in half an hour for drinks at the Palomino Bar.
She looked up at Honey, her blues eyes glistening, she said softly, “Mama, I can take care of myself.
I appreciate that you worry about me, but I have my husband, and my home. I'll be fine, don't worry.”
Her mother fingered the strand of pearls around her neck self-consciously, and smiled, “O.K., Sweetheart. I just don't want...I know men, Sweetheart, and you are right. You have a fine husband, he has a great future in this town. I just don't want you to be taken advantage of by some out of control sexual adventurer, that's all.”
Evelyn looked at the clock on the wall, twenty minutes until she met Dick.
“I know, Mama, I do appreciate it.” A warmth of affection for her Mother ran through her at that moment.
They exchanged pleasantries and Honey left.
Evelyn lit a cigarette, put the pack pack in her bag and went to meet “The Influence” for lunch.

0 Comments: