THE BLACKBURN REPORT

News and Opinion Based on Facts

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The Quarrys



It was raining cats and dogs outside.
I stepped into a poodle.
But all seriousness aside, I was thinking about the Quarry family again today.
I remeber Evelyn, my Mom, saying, "You know, Jerry Quarry should nick-name himself, 'Rock', you know, then he'd be Rock Quarry'".

When I met them, i.e., Mike and Jerry, Mike was fifteen, so was I.
We were at the crossroads of lives filled with promise, with dreams of success in our eyes.
It gives me a "someone is walking over my grave" kind of feeling.
Mike is dead. Pugilistic dementia, they say, caused his death.
Massive blunt force trauma.
Jerry is gone too.
They were only in their fifties.
I remember sparring with Jerry Quarry right after he had won the Olympics Gold.
He was huge, but a gentleman.
I mean, gentle, considerate, and kind.
He should have lived another 20 years.

0 Comments: