THE BLACKBURN REPORT

News and Opinion Based on Facts

Friday, October 28, 2011

Is Occupy Wall Street Antisemitic?

Although it does appear, at times, particularly in Oakland, to be left or anarchic, there is room for all sane viewpoints in the #Occupy Wall Street movement. 
There is not room for antisemitism, and those types of people are not influential in this movement.
I have seen the reports of antisemitism, and my view, supported by most reporters, is that the episodes of antisemitism were rare, and not associated with #Occupy Wall Street.

That being said, there are otherwise decent people who are wrong about Israel.
Their opinion is based on emotions and incorrect facts.
And misinterpretation of facts.
I am afraid many of the people that I am aware of that oppose Israel's policies period, no matter what they are, without exception, are not antisemitic, in fact, the nastiest opponent of Israel that I have dialogued with was Jewish.
Secular, radical left, but Jewish, and rabidly anti Israel.
But she wasn't antisemitic.
It's a mistake to automatically label those who disagree with our view of the situation in Israel as antisemitic, even though they may do as much harm, maybe more, than actual antisemites.

I shared a passover Seder with a friend a few years back.
Just a sweet, lovable young woman, who, as you would expect, from someone who seemed very traditional in her Jewishness, was happy with her Jewish identity, went to Synagogue frequently, her mother was a founding member of Haganah....
She was teaching me Hebrew.
At one point we began talking about Israel, and to my shock, she was anti Israel in her views.
But certainly not antisemitic.
She loved her people.
She was confused about the policy issues.

Over time, over weeks, we discussed Israel.
I brought her over to our side Smile

My point is that people who are chanting in favor of Hamas, though certainly mistaken, are not necessarily antisemitic

Even so, if anti Israel actions or dialogue were a significant part of Occupy Wall Street, I would be done with it.

It is not.
I view their "tweets" off and on throughout the evening, and I haven't seen anything antisemitic OR anti Israel.

I'm not saying incidents haven't occurred, I am saying it is extremely insignificant and does not coincide with the goals of the movement.


_________.

0 Comments: